Thursday, January 31, 2013

Style: Report on the Elizabeth McKay Sample Sale


Elizabeth McKay Sample Sale
Up to 75% OFF
January 31 - February 2, 2013 | 10am - 8pm
1020 Lexington Avenue (72nd/73rd Streets), 2nd Floor

Prices: 
Tops $40 | Dresses: $60 | Outerwear: $80
(Prices were not posted for skirts, shorts, & pants.)
ALL SALES FINAL

I visited the sale today (the first day) at lunchtime. I was really impressed with the wide selection available in every size: 0-12. There were the most items in size 6; however, everyone was trying on 2 sizes up and 2 sizes down. The fits really varied and there were a lot of styles that seemed to be pretty universal one-size-fits-all. There were definitely ladies saying that they normally wear a 10 and were fitting in 6's. 

This sale was a little different than the one I reviewed last year (last year's review HERE) because there is now 1 cabana-style dressing room available! When that was occupied there were still some women trying things on out in the showroom too, like last time. The prices were the same great ones they offered last year too!! 


As you walk in the door, they have all the spring items displayed. The fall items are in the back towards the window facing the street. The sale associates told me that even more items would be added to the sale over the next couple days and pointed to a large stack of boxes behind their desk. So, rest assured if there's something you love that you don't see in my pictures, it just might end up out there later! The only thing I noticed there weren't so many of were the embroidered Nephew and Chevron tunics.

Here are a few of the items I tried on and/or purchased:


Elephant Scotland Silk Wrap Dress $60 
(Originally $275)


There were some really great patterns! Most of the collection featured Emerald Green, which is sure to be hot this year since it's the Pantone Color of the Year!


There were lots of great long-sleeve styles in the Fall/Winter section in the back!


Spring Julia Jacket $80 
(Originally $295) 


There were lots of party dresses, printed long sleeve silk tops, tunic tops, ruffled solid sleeveless silk tops, & more!


...and last but not least, my awesome stash! Lions and leopards and elephants and alligators, oh my!! I got a Julia Jacket, Scotland Silk Dress, Belle Tunic, another Tunic (older style) & a sleeveless cotton dress.  I cannot wait for Spring/Summer. I'm gonna wear these ALL the time :) If you love Lilly Pulitzer, Roberta Freymann, or Kate Spade then this sale is definitely for you!

Minor Side Note: They did try to charge me sales tax on items that were under $110. I believe that according to NY State Government (see HERE & HERE), there should be no sales tax on any of the clothing items at the sample sale so you may have to rectify this with the store later. They were very nice about it and said they'd look into it. It almost didn't matter because the prices were so good anyway :)

2 comments:

  1. How would you say the Scotland wrap dress sizing was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! Thanks for checking out the blog. I would say that the Scotland wrap dress is pretty true to size. I bought it in the same size I wear most department store brands. From what I've tried on at the sample sales I have found a few Elizabeth McKay items to be a pretty generous fit (i.e. they have a lot of Size 6's that will fit anyone comfortably Size 4-10). I don't know if that was just because they were sample sale items or if that generally is how her clothing fits. I think that applies more towards tunics and cotton dresses though. The Scotland dress is also very low cut so I always secure it a little higher up in the chest with a tiny safety pin. I highly recommend the dress - I get compliments every time I wear it and it really looks elegant!

      xx HauteontheSpot

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...