Sunday, April 13, 2014

Birchbox "Rainy Days" April 2014 Review



This month's box is my 5th in this subscription cycle. It was quite different from the others. As I mentioned before, the other 4 boxes seemed to contain products that were completely different from most other reviews I saw. However, this month's box had identical contents to almost every other review I saw. So, I don't think there were many different variations this month. Nevertheless, it was chock full of products I really enjoyed.





I was really excited to receive this nail polish in my box. Back in February I was invited to an exclusive Birchbox bloggers (#Birchbloggers) event with Gala Gonzalez in NYC. At the event she did a Q&A, we had our nails done in her new colors, and received samples of all 4 colors to take home. So far, I've tried all 4 colors and have loved every single one. There is not a single dud in her collection and I have received compliments on every one of them! I know that I'll be using each sample I received until they're empty, so I was delighted to receive a back-up bottle in this color. The other colors are an iridescent mint green, shiny white pearl, and gold metallic. 


The Sumita eyeliner was probably my least favorite product this month. That's not because it doesn't look like a great, high quality product in an inventive color (deep plum). I am just overly particular about my eyeliners. My eyelids are a little sensitive, especially when I'm wearing contacts. So, I don't really like using pencil eyeliner at all. I mainly use gel/cream eyeliners. So, although I like this color, I'm probably going to give this product to a friend or swap it with another beauty box subscriber on eDivv.


I was pretty excited to see this old favorite in my box. I have received a few additional Birchboxes outside of my subscription - from #BirchboxLocal, at the Independent Fashion Bloggers Conference, #Birchblogger events, etc. So, I'd actually already received this detangling spray as well as the Beauty Protector Shampoo & Conditioner. I think they are all really great and effective products. I also love how they smell. They're completely non-greasy and leave your hair looking healthy and shiny. I love receiving samples because they are great products to bring on a business trip. However, their retail price is pretty steep. So, unfortunately I don't think I'll be buying any of the full-size products soon. I feel like I can find fairly comparable products at a lower price.


This is another product I'm pretty pumped to try. As I mentioned in previous reviews, I am always surprised to see my boxes so heavily geared towards skincare since that is the only category I said was not of interest in my Birchbox beauty profile. This time I wasn't too disappointed though, since Supergoop is a brand I'd been meaning to try and this product does seem like it would be well suited to my fair, dry skin.


This KIND bar was my Lifestyle Extra this month. I'm always really excited to receive one of those, no matter what it is - it is a bonus product after all. I wasn't overly excited about this one since it seems like something you'd buy out of necessity rather than as a special treat. However, I do really like pumpkin seeds and think this will be a good snack to keep in my desk.


Overall, I was pretty pleased with this box. I certainly liked it a lot better than March's box. It had 3 products I'm pretty excited about, 1 that's nice but just doesn't happen to suit my needs, and a Lifestyle Extra. As I said, it looks like most other subscribers received a near identical box this month. So, there weren't many other products to envy. If I did receive any other products I would have still liked the TheBalm's How 'Bout Them Apples Palette, Skin & Co Roma Truffle Therapy Serum, and Supergoop City Sunscreen Serum.


Now, I've got sunshine, on a cloudy day...

 photo newsignature2_zps60eabe93.png

1 comment:

  1. I love the Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle Spray! I received it in my February box and used it everyday. The smell is amazing, too! What do you think about it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...