Monday, June 30, 2014

June 2014 "Away We Go" Birchbox Review



I have to admit, I didn't really think about whether or not I would continue my Birchbox subscription this month. I'd been fairly pleased with the last few months and/or been able to exchange my samples with other subscribers for things I really love. I was going on a business trip and knew I wouldn't receive my box until I got home. Nevertheless, I decided to chance it. The result - I was very pleased with this month's box! I got a box of excellent value full of products that I could really use.  I was so convinced, that I've now decided to take the plunge and get an annual subscription (read: lots of future Birchbox reviews to come)!


My box contained: Catherine Melandrino Fragrance (Full-size, $110), Davines Love Smoothing Shampoo/Conditioner/OI All in One Milk (Full-size $24-28), LAQA & Co Sheer Lip Lube Pencil in Menatour (Full-size $18), Paula's Choice RESIST Barrier Repair Moisturizer with Retinol (Full-size $27), and Vasanti Cosmetics BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator (Full-size $34).


This lip color is just...WOW! It's not at all what I expected. I have some similar looking lip crayon type products from brands like Pop Beauty but found them to be a bit cakey in texture, going on a bit rough and clumping up. This lip color glides on amazingly smoothly. I really like the color - which is a bit loud I'll admit. It's the good kind of loud and its intensity can be adjusted based on the number of layers you apply. I can't wait to try this product in other shades. It's by far one of my favorite Birchbox samples of all time and seems to be incredibly underrated in other reviews. I'm obsessed!


I haven't tried any of these products yet, but I was immediately blown away by the generous shampoo sample. It's a size that is still TSA approved and could be taken on a fairly lengthy business trip. It also has really well designed packaging for multiple use. I look forward to taking all 3 of these products on my next trip!


My skin's pretty sensitive and prone to redness. So, I'm not sure how I feel about this cleanser being compared to "microdermabrasion". If it produces the same effects in a gentle way, then I'm all in! I think to be safe I'd just use it 1-2 times per week rather than the suggested 3-5. I like that it contains natural ingredients like Papaya and Aloe.


I really like that this product contains Retinol and that it is a deep moisturizer. I have very dry skin and am certainly interested in keeping a youthful and clear complexion. I haven't used it yet but I like that it comes in the same type of dispenser as a lot of really luxurious moisturizers. The texture doesn't seem overly pasty/thick which I usually attribute with moisturizers for really dry skin, but we shall see!


I was pretty excited to receive this perfume. I could smell the lovely scent from the minute I picked up the envelope. It's got a sweet yet mature scent that I can only describe in one word...nectar! It's great for spring and summer wear - just watch out, those honey bees might be after you!


I like that this month's theme was "Away We Go" because I love taking all my Birchbox samples with me when I travel. The shampoo/conditioner samples are always especially handy. This month's box also had a little quiz to figure out where you should travel next with some cute little fact cards on various JetBlue destinations. I took the quiz and got Portland, ME. That's not a big surprise considering my love for the sea and lobster rolls. Which destination did you get?


Bon Voyage!


 photo newsignature2_zps60eabe93.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...