Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Walmart Beauty Box - Winter 2014 Review



You may remember my review of the Fall Beauty Box in September.  Well, this was my second Walmart Beauty Box and as a recap: it's basically free (just $5 for shipping) and it comes out 4 times/year. From what I've seen, it looks like subscribers typically get 1 of 2 variations, one focused on a younger demographic and one on an older. It looks like both times I got the box for the younger demographic, since I'm under 30. However, having looked at both I have to say there are things that would make a lot of sense for me out of each. I think the major difference is that the younger one might experiment with bolder colors of makeup and the older one mixes in a few more anti-aging skincare products. Either one is really a win-win.


Maybelline Colorsensational Lipstick in 925 Maple Kiss (Full-size, $4.97)

This was the only full size item in the box. The value almost pays entirely for the cost of the box itself. The lipstick glides on very smoothly for a lipstick at this price range and is ultra-moisturizing. It's also got a sweet smell that reminds me of white cake - yum! Maple Kiss is definitely not a color I would have picked out myself. It's a lot darker and has more of a brown tint than any other lipsticks I've tried before. However, after the first try I was sold. It's very mature and elegant. With my fair complexion, the brown undertones definitely make the rest of my face look more tan - which is always great news for us pasty people! Generally, I think this would be a universally flattering color.


Jergens BB Body Perfecting Skin Cream in All Light Skin Tones (Full-size, $11.97)

Of course I've heard of BB cream for you face, but I love the idea of a BB cream for your body! Why shouldn't the rest of your skin get some love too? I was excited to see that Walmart sent me the correct color for my skin tone. The product also comes in "Medium/Deep Skin Tones". This cream gives your skin some instant shimmer and a quick shot of deep moisture. It's got a very subtle scent that is similar to a couple pressed foundation powders I've used before. I know this one's been in several different subscription boxes lately so I'd love to hear more from other subscribers about what the long term result have been after using this product for a week or two.


Olay Fresh Effects Make-up Removal Wet Cloths (Full-size, $3.97)

I was really excited to receive this product because I've actually already bought it before and love it! A full size is 25 cloths and will last you several months of weekend make-up removal. I've also used the Ponds wipes that are pretty similar, a bit thicker. Both really effectively remove the heaviest duty make-up. Trust me, I regularly use them to remove my Benefit They're Real Mascara and Benefit Push-up Liner which is no easy ordeal! I think these are a fantastic value for the money and much more gentle on the skin than a lot of liquid make-up removers I've used in the past.


L'Oreal OleoTherapy Oil Infused Shampoo & Conditioner (Full-size, $5.97)

Admittedly, I haven't used these yet because I always save sample size shampoos & conditioners for work travel. I really appreciate that both are sulfate-free and look like they would be safe to use on my dry color-treated hair. I looked online and it looks like Walmart is not currently selling the Conditioner on their website, just the Shampoo. I'm excited about the "silky feel" the oil infusion is supposed to create on damaged hair. 


Nivea Cocoa Butter Body Lotion (Full-size, $4.97)

I haven't tried this one yet either, since it's in a one time use foil packet. The full size version is 16.9 fl oz which sounds like massive value for the money. I've only used the original Nivea Creme before, which is one of the few reasonably priced products out there that deeply moisturizes my severely dry skin. That ones safe to use on your face and body and it doesn't leave my skin greasy or make my face break out. So, I'm already a big fan of the brand and look forward to seeing what their other products are like! There was also a manufacturer's coupon for $1.00 off any Nivea body lotion or creme included.


Maybelline Dream Wonder Powder (Full-size, $6.94)

Again, I haven't tried this one yet. It's a single use cardboard sample. I'm not sure it's really enough to apply on your whole face. Walmart sells this product in 16 different shades and it doesn't say on this package which shade I was given so I'm not quite sure if I'll really be able to judge the product by this sample. This one also included a $1.00 off manufacturer's coupon good for any Dream Wonder powder or Maybelline face product.

Again, I was pretty pleased with the Walmart Beauty Box! This one didn't have as high of a value as the last one and had fewer full-size products,  but definitely still had a good assortment of product.

 photo newsignature2_zps60eabe93.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...