Friday, August 16, 2013

Summer Beauty Essentials for 2013


I've received quite a number of beauty product samples this summer courtesy of several magazines and had not yet had the opportunity to post a complete review of all of them. So, I decided to put them all together in a feature of THE top summer beauty products as selected by the staffs of the nation's leading fashion and beauty magazines. Here they are, in no particular order:

Lips:

Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Catfight + 24/7 Glide-on Lip Pencils in Jilted and Ozone (courtesy of Vogue Magazine) The marketing behind the Revolution Lipstick is that you pair it with the matching shade of 24/7 Glide-on Lip Pencils. There are three steps to the process: 1) apply the Lip Pencil in Ozone to the outside of your lips in order to fill in any fine lines and prevent feathering, 2) fill in your lips completely with the other (colored) Lip Pencil to provide longer wear, 3) apply the Revolution Lipstick with the Pigment Infusion System that will create intense color and extended wear. 

I don't have too many fine lines so I didn't see too much use for the Ozone pencil. Also, once I had applied the Jilted pencil I felt like I already had pretty intense color. So, I didn't really think that the lipstick on top of that added too much. It actually made the color so vibrant that it looked kind of costumey against my fair skin tone. Perhaps it was just he color I received, but I'd suggest using either the lipstick or colored lip pencil to achieve bold long-lasting color. Using both might be too much. Overall, the quality of all the products was really impressive. I liked how smooth and silky everything felt and how easy it was to apply. I've always been a fan of Urban Decay cosmetics and these new products only increased my appreciation of the brand. I also love the trendy little skull printed case they sent along with the products!



Eyes:

Revlon Lash Potion Mascara (courtesy of Vogue Magazine) What I really loved about this mascara is that its long lasting and it doesn't smudge. It definitely only needs to be applied once a day. Also, despite the appearance of the brush - it's completely straight and flat - it still manages to give your lashes a little bit of upward curl. I would definitely recommend this mascara for women on the go who don't have time to touch up their make-up throughout the day. It's not an overly glamorous mascara but it's very practical.



Hair:

Alterna Bamboo Volume 48-Hour Sustainable Volume Spray (courtesy of ELLE Magazine) I like my hair either pretty stick straight or in defined curls. So, I have to admit I don't use too many hair volumizing products. However, I used this product on a long day when I knew I would be outside for several hours for a movie screening in Prospect Park. It kept my hair looking fresh and non-oily despite the elements. My only complaint is that when I sprayed it on it dried in places with the consistency of hairspray (sticky, kind of clumpy). You're supposed to spray it in while your hair is still wet so maybe it had already air dried a little too much.


Rusk Deep Shine Color Care Lock-In Treatment (courtesy of People StyleWatch Magazine) I really love this product. At first I was doubtful I'd notice much because it's primarily focused on color protection. However, I noticed right away just how silky it made my hair feel. It makes me feel great every time I wear it and I'm sure I'll be using it for a long time!


Fragrance:

Cartier "Baiser Volé" Eau de Parfum (courtesy of Allure Magazine) This has a very strong floral smell, particularly of either Lilly of the Valley or Lilac. It's a pleasant smell but it's a little too strong and a little too mature for my taste. However, I know many - slightly older - women who would definitely love it. I think it would make a great gift. I love the name too - it translates to "stolen kiss"!



The Seventh Generation Serum (courtesy of Lucky Magazine) that is also pictured will have its own post coming later this month.

Stay sun-kissed and beautiful!


 photo newsignature2_zps60eabe93.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...