Monday, October 13, 2014

Birchbox "Fanfare" October 2014 Review



I love this month's Birchbox theme. "Fanfare" is so perfect for this time of year - football season's kicking off, baseball season is reaching its climax, and most importantly all the awesome fall TV premieres are going on! My personal faves so far - "Once Upon a Time" and "New Girl" returning and the premieres of "Forever", "From A to Z", and "Selfie". Which shows are you checking out this season?

Well, back to the Birchbox! That's what you're really here for, right? This time around we had another option to select 1 of the samples. The choices were a Lord & Berry eyeliner, ModelCo Lipstick, or 1 of 2 different Mally lip glazes. Alternatively, you could pick the Laggie collab box.  Although I wasn't super psyched about any of the options this time around, I went for the ModelCo Lipstick because it was a full size lipstick and I adored the double sided ModelCo lipstick/lipgloss I received previously in a Popsugar Must Have Box.

My box contained: BeeKind Body Lotion (Full-size, $15), Dr. Brandt Pores no More Vacuum Cleaner (Full-size, $45), Harvey Prince Petaly Noir Fragrance (Full-size, $55), Lord & Berry Paillettes Glitter Eye Pencil in Black (Full-size, $18), and ModelCo Party Proof Lipstick in Kitty (Full-size, $24).


This lipstick is pretty versatile. It's a very neutral nude shade that looks very natural.  Despite it being billed as a "matte lipstick" I thought it gave off quite a bit of shine. I don't know if it is "party proof" but it definitely lasted through a meal and several hours afterward. It has the same great strawberry smell/taste as the other ModelCo products I have. If you're not keen on strawberries though, that could be a major turn-off. The actual lipstick comes in a trio set so although I like it a lot, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay up for 3 lipsticks of varying colors when I only just needed one. That being said, if you don't already have a good variety of colors the set could be very useful.


I was most excited about this sample (Dr. Brandt Pores No More) in my box because it is a brand with a great reputation and I've heard the product is fantastic. It's also very expensive so I would definitely want to try it first before buying it.  I don't have any blackheads at present so I haven't tried it yet, but it will definitely come in handy when I need it!


I was definitely not very excited about the Lord & Berry eyeliner, although I'm sure others would have been. It was one of the sample choices and I didn't pick it. Like I said, I picked the ModelCo lipstick. While with some of the other months' sample choices I would have been delighted to receive 2 of them, I didn't feel that way this month. This eyeliner is highly saturated with glitter. Being in my late 20's, I think I have outgrown that look now - call me boring if you'd like! So, although it's a good quality product it's just not for me.


The BeeKind lotion is another very ordinary body lotion. It's got a thin, very average texture. The only differences between this and the many very similar products I've already received in Birchboxes is that this one has a very strong sweet lemon scent (it literally smells just like Lemonheads candies) and that it is made with honey and organic chamomile extracts. I was surprised to turn over the tube and see that this was yet another Gilchrist & Soames product. You may notice, this is the third Gilchrist & Soames body lotion I've received so far this year from Birchbox (Gilchrist & Soames body lotion in March, Gilchrist & Soames Spa Therapy body lotion in May). I'm really not in need of another body lotion, so I was less than thrilled to receive the first two and a third - from the same brand with the same texture/consistency? Hmm. I'm hoping this will be the last body lotion from Birchbox for a while. 


You may remember my rave reviews of the Harvey Prince "Hello" fragrance and "Ageless" shower gel in previous Birchboxes. Well, Harvey Prince yet again did not disappoint. The "Petaly Noir" scent is definitely unique. It took me a couple spritzes to form an opinion because it is so different from the soft florals I typically wear. However, I am sold. This is a fantastic scent for fall/winter wear. It has rich notes of sandalwood, orchid, and what I would identify as peppercorn. It actually reminds me quite a bit of the Jo Malone "Pomegranate Noir" scent but slightly more floral and feminine. I definitely plan on incorporating this into my perfume routine during the cold winter months!

Overall it was a pretty decent box. Lots of practical items. I am really excited to try the Dr. Brandt, enjoyed the ModelCo lipstick and Harvey Prince fragrance, and will probably end up swapping or gifting the body lotion and eyeliner. What are your thoughts about this month's box? What items did you get?




 photo newsignature2_zps60eabe93.png
Disclaimer: I am currently employed by UK Trade & Investment. However, all written content and opinions expressed on this blog (including and especially those regarding British brands) are my own. This is a personal blog that is in no way affiliated with my place of employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...