Saturday, May 17, 2014

Birchbox "Freewheeling" May 2014 Review



This was my 6th Birchbox in my latest subscription cycle. Hearing that this month's box was a collaboration with Kate Spade Saturday definitely piqued my interest and encouraged me to continue my subscription.  Overall again I have to say I didn't love every single item in the box. I think that my December, January, and April boxes were a better fit for me. However, there are definitely a few things in this box that I'm pretty excited to try!


My box contained: Gilchrist & Soames Spa Therapy Body Lotion (Full-size, $15), Nexxus Color Assure Pre-Wash Primer, Shampoo, & Conditioner (Full-size, $11.99-$17.99), Pixi Shea Lip Balm in Coral Crush (Full-size, $8), Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream in Acai Grapefruit (Full-size, $20), and a Lifestyle Extra - 32 Oral Care Effervescent Breath Crystals with IsoVoxy (Pack of 15-60, $9.99-$29.50).


This Whish Shave Cream, exclusive to Birchbox's shop, was definitely one of the items I was fairly excited to try. I don't typically splurge on shave creams. Honestly, I think my legs will be just fine with the drugstore brands. However, I thought this was a nice little luxury to try. The packaging is perfect to take on a work trip - TSA approved size and non-aerosol. Most importantly, I love the smell! Acai and grapefruit are two of my favorite fruits out there and the shave cream just smells so invigorating and citrusy (the grapefruit is definitely the overpowering scent). The texture is very thick and luxurious. It also seems like it would moisturize very well. I can't wait to try it!


Although I'm not very familiar with the Nexxus brand and wasn't a fan of the single-use packaging this sample came in, I'm always psyched to receive shampoo & conditioner samples. I'm especially psyched when they are for color-treated hair. Having these kinds of samples is SO key for work trips or any flights when I'm not checking a bag. I really look forward trying these out on my next trip! Unfortunately, I can't judge on texture or smell yet because they are single-use packages. 

The "Pre-Wash Primer" would be an interesting addition to my routine. The packaging says that you use it "repel water" and "lock in color vibrancy". It sounds like it makes your hair soft and silky but I don't know enough about color protection to understand why I'd want a product that would repel water when I'm taking a shower. If you know, please leave a comment on this post - I'd love to learn!


Another Gilchrist & Soames body lotion - didn't I receive one in different packing a couple months ago in my Birchbox? I'm never particularly pleased when Birchbox repeats an item. However, because of the different packaging and "Spa Therapy" branding, this lotion is a little different. As I said with my previous review, I think this brand could do a lot more to promote themselves and get past their old "hotel freebie" image. So, I expect to see some exciting things from them in the future as they work even more on their transition into a coveted retail luxury brand. 

The scent for this one is "Relaxing Sea Fennel" but I actually think it smells more like a cucumber melon sort of scent (equally pleasant). The texture seems to be fairly thin like the other Gilchrist & Soames product I'd received, so it's definitely more of a traditional body lotion than body butter or creme.


I was actually pretty exited to receive this Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm in my box this month. I love the amazing moisturizing power of shea butter and this product is full size and very cute! Unfortunately, I tried a swatch and although it felt like a very nice texture, the color was way too bright for my pigmentation. Unfortunately, I'll probably end up swapping this one on eDivv.com.


I was pretty excited to receive a Lifestyle Extra again this month. I'm always kind of sad when I don't get one in my box. These seem like great things to take on the go / stash in your purse. They'd be perfect to take on a date at a restaurant when you want to enjoy some garlic pasta or curry ;)


I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the Kate Spade Saturday collaboration. I do think it is nice when beauty boxes do these kinds of creative collabs and even more so when the partner is strongly involved in all aspects - picking the product, finding beauty products that pair with their products, providing a little Lifestyle Extra from their brand, etc. I didn't think the Saturday element of this box was overwhelming. It was really just the outer mailing box packaging, yellow tissue paper, black & white striped interior of the box, and the enclosed discount card for $25 off a $75 purchase. I saw that they also incorporated some of their clothes into the Birchbox preview videos on the website.



Overall, it was a pretty decent box. I got three items for my on-the-go lifestyle (shave cream, hair care, and breath crystals), one item that I loved but the color just didn't suit me (lip balm), and one item that was a sort of repeat of an item I'd received recently (body lotion). I also got a discount card for Kate Spade Saturday which I might consider using on one of the items in their cute new "Jumping Gazelles" print. There didn't seem to be as much variation among boxes this month so I think a received a lot of the same items as other subscribers this time. What did you think of your May box? Did you pick out anything at Saturday?

 photo newsignature2_zps60eabe93.png
Disclaimer: I am currently employed by UK Trade & Investment. However, all written content and opinions expressed on this blog (including and especially those regarding British brands) are my own. This is a personal blog that is in no way affiliated with my place of employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...