Thursday, July 16, 2015

In Defense of Amazon's Prime Day...


So, I know a lot of people were really disappointed about Amazon's Prime Day yesterday...although it did create some hilarious memes and tweets! There was so much hype built up around it that it would be bigger and better than Black Friday. Admittedly, I was in the same boat as everyone else for most of the day.

I continually checked the "Lightning Deals" throughout the day hoping there would be something amazing hidden in amongst the baby bottles, tupperware, shoe horns, and camping lanterns.  I had gotten some great deals in the past from similar promos during Black Friday, like wonderful Monster DNA Headphones for $75 vs. regular price $230 (and I wouldn't mind an upgrade to some Bose QuietComfort Headphones!).

Sadly, what few things I was excited about like a pair of Jack Rogers sandals, a $25 Sephora gift certificate for $20 (ok not huge savings) and "The Theory of Everything" on Blu-ray sold out incredibly quickly. Even the waitlist was full.

However, what I discovered later in the day was just how closely you needed to look at the day-long offers posted on the site, especially those that were posted on the homepage well below the various "lightning deals".  There were some great discounts on some of my favorite snack foods and there were actually some really incredible brands included in the fashion sale which took off 30% on select items at checkout. 

Some of the brands included in the fashion sale were: Kate Spade, Diane von Furstenberg, Joie, Dogeared, Gorjana, Vera Bradley, Mara Hoffman, and Alice & Trixie! There were some good deals to be had from pretty high-end brands, but like at TJ Maxx, you had to do some digging.

I walked away with the impulse steals pictured above. The white Rebecca Minkoff Mini M.A.C. Purse and Platinum Jack Rogers Navajo Sandals are such classics, the individual bags of Stacy's pita chips are just enough to satisfy my cravings without my feeling bad about the calories, and I've had my eye on the Rifle Paper Co x LeSportSac collection since I went to the launch event on Madison Ave with Anna Bond a couple months ago! Items were 25% off at that event and I hadn't seen them on sale anywhere else. What a surprise that they were included in the 30% off sale on #PrimeDay!

Best of all, if you feel some post-shopping guilt or wanted to try out two colors and decide which you liked best, you could shop worry-free. With Amazon Prime, there are free returns!

I can't say I'm completely sold on Amazon Prime yet at $99/year. I used the 30-day free trial to shop the sale. The main reason is that I feel like I could only justify an Amazon Prime membership if I took advantage of both the free shipping and the Instant Video service. However, I think Amazon still has a ways to go to catch up with Netflix. So, for now, I'll keep my Netflix and add orders of $35 or more to my Amazon carts. 

Amazon Prime members, what do you think of your membership? Did anyone else get some really great deals yesterday? Let me know in the comments!


 photo newsignature2_zps60eabe93.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...