Saturday, July 18, 2015

Walmart Beauty Box Summer 2015 Review



It's taken a little while for me to post this, but last month I received my fourth Walmart Beauty Box (see my firstsecond, and third here). This one came with a whole bunch of products - 7 samples and some foil packets too. There were also coupons included in this one, just like in the previous ones. Again, this is a free box for everyone who subscribes.  You just get charged $5 for shipping each time - which is quarterly not monthly.


St. Ives Blackhead Clearing Green Tea Scrub (full size, $3.87)

This scrub works to clear blackheads and calm redness. I don't have any blackheads at the moment but my skin does get a little red and splotchy at times so I will definitely try this one out. It's oil-free, paraben free, and sulfate free.  It has salicylic acne medication (1%) and contains 100% natural exfoliants. There's a warning on the label that it might dry out your skin a bit and mine is already dry. So, I'll probably start out by trying it just once or twice a week rather than the recommended 1-3 times daily. It is a kiwi-green color just like green tea and has a fairly neutral scent that isn't very noticeable. The exfoliants have a texture similar to fine grains of sand, so it isn't too harsh but could be a bit rough on sensitive skin if used more than once daily.

Nivea Soft Moisturizing Cream (full size, $3.74)

I really like all Nivea products I've tried so far. I find that they work really well on dry to very dry skin types. I typically use their original Nivea Creme which is primarily for use on your elbows, heels, and hands. This cream is can be used on your hands, body, and face. So, it seems like a slightly less greasy version of the original Creme. I found that it definitely had a thinner consistency than the original Creme and is more like a lot of other mosturizers I have used. I don't think it moisturizes as deeply as the Creme does, but maybe that is necessary for facial use so it doesn't clog pores. I really like the scent which seems powdery fresh.

Dove Go Fresh Nutrium Moisture Body Wash (full size, $5.47-5.97)

The Dove body wash was actually quite a disappointment because I received the exact same sample in the exact same scent in my Spring 2015 Walmart Beauty Box the previous quarter (March). I didn't think that subscription boxes were supposed to send repeats at all, let alone in consecutive boxes. It's not a bad product by any means but it's not very exciting to receive the same item twice in a row.


NYC (New York Color) Liquid Lipshine Lip Gloss (full size, $1.87)

The color I received was 579 Fashion Ave Fuchsia. NYC cosmetics are good in a pinch - they are super cheap and are sold in most big box stores and pharmacies, so they are easy to pick up when you're on-the-go. This lip gloss contains Vitamin E which leaves lips moisturized and soft. It's ultra-shiny and pretty sheer. So, if you're not layering it on top of lipstick, I would recommend at least two coats. It's a nice rosie shade of pink. Admittedly, I didn't like that it was very sticky and the scent was kind of sickeningly vanilla cupcake sweet.

Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy Complete Care Shampoo (full size, $4.98)

This is a nourishing anti-dandruff shampoo with ten vitamins and nutrients. I actually already use Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy products quite a bit. I don't like to use the same shampoos and conditioners on a daily basis because I find that daily use creates root build-up. So, I usually have 2-3 of each in my weekly rotation. I pretty much always have one Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy product in the rotation. Right now I'm using the Intense Hydration Shampoo which I received at an Allure Magazine event.

Neutrogena Cool Dry Sport Sunscreen Lotion SPF 70 (full size, $8.49)

This sunscreen lotion is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes and contains helioplex broad spectrum UVA / UVB protection. It goes on in a nice thin layer so it's not hard to apply and rub into your skin - no white streaks here! It has a very light citrus type of smell too it. So, it definitely doesn't have a strong smell like traditional sunscreens.



This comes in two skin tone options, Fair to Medium and Medium to Tan.  The samples I received were for Medium to Tan so unfortunately I wasn't able to try them. They looked like they would be way too dark on my skin tone.  It looks like a pretty intriguing product that gives you "natural-looking color just by moisturizing".  Since I have dry, fair skin I would definitely be interested in trying it. It's a shame I did not receive the Fair to Medium sample.

You & I by One Direction Perfume (full size, $39.50)

The perfume vial I received was about 1/4 empty. It doesn't look like that happened in transit, so maybe that's just the way the sample is packaged. I fall a bit outside of the One Direction fan age group, so I can't say the band's association is a big hook for me. However, the scent is actually really nice. It's pretty sweet (kind of like Riana's Fierce perfume) but has nice fruity and floral notes - it reminds me grapefruit, cantaloupe, and fresh wild flowers. It's definitely a nice spring/summer scent. This does not appear to be on Walmart's website and is sold out at Ulta and Sephora - it's potentially only available at Kohl's. Right now Walmart only seems to have One Direction's other perfume, "Our Moment".

Last but not least, there were quite a few coupons again. This time they were for makeup brushes from Real Techniques by Sam & Nic Chapman, Ecotools, and Essential Tools ($2 off brushes from each but the coupons expired quickly, at the end of June).

 photo newsignature2_zps60eabe93.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...